Friday 24 June 2016

In conversation with Manveer.....

When does a parent realize that her child has grown up now and probably needs a little more of a space out???
My answer...... in a completely and seemingly innocuous  conversation with the ward in question.

A single remark and you know the moment has arrived......

Just one condition..... be there for that split second moment...... always ready to catch the signal, as when it's emanated, it lasts only so long.... then it disappears and you might have wait a lot before you get the opportunity again.

Yesterday, being my friend, Jyoti's birthday, she had invited me to her birthday get together in the evening. I was delayed at work due to some meeting. (btw I am working at SGT University these days)😃. Since I was getting late and hubby dearest also couldn't reach home early .... i decided to meet up with Jyoti at her PG and then reach home early to be with Manveer.

I called to inform Manna, and shared  my plan with  him.

Here's how the conversation went:

"Mama, don't cancel your plans because of me".

"Manveer, it's okay.... I'll be home soon."
With this as I was about to disconnect the phone, i heard Manna say:

"No, Mama! you will not cancel the plan today. It's your friend's birthday, she has invited you and will be waiting you. You know when I call my friends to play and they don't turn up, it really hurts and today is Jyoti didi's special day, so go and make it special for her".

Believe me.... I was caught unawares at the sheer clarity of thought and the level of empathy this child exhibited. 
Although I must admit, being a mother there was this  alarm bell also ringing and I wanted  to understand whether he is seriously concerned or he is trying to shoo me away from home ... while he enjoys his time at home.....
I know i might sound like a suspicious mom trying to keep tabs and doubting her own child but still to state the truth .. this was it for me....

This sonny boy of mine is growing up with the right set of values..... that I am so glad of ......

But being a mom is easier said than done, because their is always something that catches your eye makes you sit up and watch out .......... what it is ??? well I'll share that with you in my next post.


No comments:

Post a Comment